Most employees today receive their paychecks through direct deposit. This is the quickest, most efficient way to get paid on a regular basis.
If you’re a fan of direct deposit and want to make some extra money, it might be time to open a new checking account.
Different banks throughout the country offer competitive sign-up bonuses for customers who are looking to switch institutions.
Sign-up bonuses usually last for a specific length of time. If you open a new account during that period, you’re eligible to receive free money from your new bank.
These institutions usually have certain criteria you need to meet before you can receive the money.
However, one common requirement is that you need to enroll in direct deposit and receive a certain deposit amount within a set period of time in order to receive the bonus.
Bonuses are subject to change depending on the season, and banks can choose if and when they offer these promotional periods.
The following sections outline different banks that have been known to offer these bonuses, as well as the different types of offers they’ve had.
Chase is a major banking institution that has branches in many different states. This means that many people have the opportunity to take advantage of these sign-up bonus offers when they’re available.
Throughout the year, Chase usually offers a variety of promotional events for new users. Some of these relate to opening savings accounts while others relate to new checking accounts.
If you’re interested in seeing Chase’s sign-up bonuses for users with direct deposit, you should pay special attention to the bank’s checking account promotions.
Sometimes, Chase offers various checking account promotions at one time. Two examples of offers Chase has offered new customers in the past related to the following accounts:
- Chase Premier Plus Checking – If you meet the criteria for this offer, you can receive $300. To take advantage of this bonus, you must first open a Chase Premier Plus Checking account. Then, you need to set up your direct deposit to this account. In order to receive this bonus amount, you must have a direct deposit sent to your account within 60 days from when you opened the account. Once you do this, you’ll see the benefit amount deposited into your account within 10 days.
- Chase Total Checking – If you decide to open a Chase Total Checking account during a promotional period, you may be eligible to receive a $200 sign-on bonus. However, before you can receive this amount, you must make a direct deposit within the first 60 days of opening your account. Only certain types of direct deposit transfers count, like the ones you receive from your employer or the Social Security Administration (SSA).
Like Chase, TD Bank also offers sign-up bonuses for new users who have direct deposit.
One of the most popular sign-up bonuses this bank offers is the TD Bank Beyond Checking bonus.
If you sign up for a new account during a promotional period, you could be eligible to receive a $300 cash bonus. To receive this, you must:
- Be a U.S. resident.
- Apply for your new account online.
- Receive direct deposits valuing more than $2,500 within 60 days of opening the account.
If you don’t think you can meet the criteria for this offer, consider applying for TD Convenience Checking account instead.
This offer gets you a $150 cash bonus, and you only need to have $500 worth of direct deposits sent to your account within the first 60 days to get the benefit.
However, keep in mind that you still need to be a U.S. resident and apply online in order to receive this bonus.
If you live in a state that has a PNC Bank branch, you may be able to take advantage of the institution’s sign-up bonus.
In the past, this bank has been known to offer a $300 bonus to new users who open a PNC Bank Virtual Wallet account.
In order to receive this bonus, there are certain requirements you must. They are as follows:
- Open a new Virtual Wallet account with the Performance Select feature.
- Arrange for direct deposits totaling a minimum of $5,000 to be sent to your account.
- Make a minimum of 10 purchases with the debit card tied to your new checking account.
If you can’t meet these requirements, you may qualify for a $200 cash bonus instead. To receive this reward, you need to meet the requirements outlined above.
However, instead of receiving direct deposits totaling $5,000, they only need to be worth $2,000. Furthermore, you’ll need to have a Virtual Wallet with Performance Spend instead of Performance Select to receive this bonus.
KeyBank also offers a $200 bonus to new customers. When available, this promotion applies to people who open any of the following types of accounts:
- Key Privilege Select Checking
- Key Privilege Checking
- Key Advantage Checking
- Key Express Checking
To receive this bonus money, you need to have one direct deposit valued at a minimum of $500 sent to your account within 60 days.
You also may need to provide a promotional code when you open your account in order to be eligible for this bonus.
If you open an HSBC Premier Checking account, you may be eligible to receive a hefty $750 bonus. To receive this bonus, you must:
- Set up recurring direct deposits that are valued at a minimum of $5,000 each month. This total amount can be spread across various HSBC checking accounts, but the funds must come from third parties.
- Receive recurring direct deposits from third parties that total a minimum of $5,000 each month during the first three months your account is open.
Bank of America
If you have not opened a Bank of America account within the past six months, you could qualify for a $100 bonus.
To take advantage of this promotion, you must open one of the following types of accounts:
- Advantage SafeBalance Banking
- Advantage Plus Banking
- Advantage Relationship Banking
Once you open your account, you have 90 days to meet the bank’s direct deposit requirement. THis means you must receive a minimum of two direct deposits worth at least $250.